Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Tournament of Books Round Fifteen: THE GOLDFINCH by Donna Tartt vs. THE GOOD LORD BIRD by James McBride

Zombie Round! I find that my judgment in this round, between two books I enjoyed but didn’t love, is colored by my anticipation of, and excitement for, THE GOLDFINCH—I expected more from it, and it fell short of my hopes. I hadn’t heard anything about THE GOOD LORD BIRD, on the other hand—when I first saw it I thought it was going to be about the hunt for this thought-to-be-extinct woodpecker—and so when it turned out to be funny, and educational for someone who knew next to nothing about John Brown and Harper’s Ferry, I was surprised and pleased. For that matter, the sections that those who found THE GOLDFINCH charming cite (the Las Vegas interlude, and those scenes with Boris) I didn’t find particularly amusing. I loved Popchik, and I was glad that Theo got away from New York for a while, but I certainly wouldn’t have spent time with Boris on my own. He seemed like far more of a caricature than the similarly expedient Hobie. I liked Hobie, and I would read a short story about his life, but for Theo to remain loyal to Boris while screwing Hobie over with unnecessary deceit was too painful and unmotivated for me. I can’t see why Theo would have continued to create forgeries after the initial thrill of succeeding with one, and I think it happened simply because Tartt wanted to show that Theo continued to give in to his worst impulses like his father before him, without being overly tedious with the descriptions of drugs and drugged stupor and a few pills, and some drugs hidden under the bed.

I understood Onion better, even though his lived experiences are much farther removed from mine than Theo’s life of privilege and self-doubt. Onion’s motivations were clear to me: self-preservation is something we all have in common as a species, and wanting to avoid violence, as a theme I identified in the first review round, is very relatable. Onion didn’t have much regret for his father’s death, which I found strange, but he also got swept up into half-captivity half-adventure immediately afterward, and was understandably preoccupied with learning how to please his new master (and learning that he no longer had a master, no matter how important it was to stay with John Brown’s army.)

As much as I hate to level this judgment against any novel, I think THE GOLDFINCH was too long. THE GOOD LORD BIRD had the benefit of being constrained by the timelines of an actual event, John Brown’s life, but at least it had the good sense to stay within those constraints, keep the action moving, and introduce us to a broad enough range of characters that if we grew tired of the moralizing orator we could stay interested in the double-crossing prostitute. THE GOLDFINCH kept bringing me back to the same characters, whether likeable or not, and it ended up backfiring; even if I had had enough of the Barbours, they kept coming back, and even if I thought Boris was destined for an early grave, he escaped scrape after scrape. But not even by becoming a zombie can these characters survive this round…

My winner and ToB’s: THE GOOD LORD BIRD


Read the official Tournament judgment here

No comments:

Post a Comment